Friday 28 August 2009

Omaha is a game for Luckboxes

Played the APAT Omaha champs last night at DTD and as you can probably tell from the title I didn't win. Quite enjoyed myself though, here are some of the highlights and my ultimate demise.

Arrived almost 2 hours late due to a delay in Barrow that I could do little about. Stack had whittled down to 8600 from the starting 10k, so not too much damage. I then get KK45 in mid position with 2 limpers, I elect to limp and we get 7 see the flop of 29K...BINGO, I bet the pot and some guy in late position says "where did he come from". I gave it the "got to get my chips" back line hoping he had a smaller set and would call, but they all folded and I was back to level after 1 hand. LOL

Cruise along to the break without much action, but I have clocked the Holdem players and tight players at the table. Then first hand after the break I get A J 10 10 (with the Ace suited in clubs and see an all club flop, giving me the nut straight. guy bets and I elect to call in position as does the SB, pot wasn't big enough to warrant repopping it and I wanted to stear clear of the FH arriving on the turn or river this early. Turn is a blank and same guy comes out betting 2100 so I choose to take the poyt down here and repop it putting me all-in, SB dwells and elects to call for value as he is short stacked, he has trips and blanks the river so I am up to 19k and looking good against what I consider a fairly poor table.

I am now calling in position against raisers as they are all raising with big hands only and I'm looking to take them down, I don't hit anything else but do push a number of players off pots, some are real weak and playing Omaha without a clue really. I'm feeling comfortable, but then run trips into a guy who slowplayed the top set very well and also one hand where i bet the Nut flush draw on the flop only to get re-raised by a short stack that has me priced in to call and I blank out the turn/river leaving me back to my original 10k stack size.
So two hours of picking my spots, people folding way too much to pre-flop raises and although I don't connect with any flops I am holding steady. However when the blinds go to 600-1200 I have to start making a move and yo-yo a bit but never get above 16k. Then with 11k behind this hand comes up where I sense a moment to steal from a limper and he was a nice guy ( ended up 3rd too ) and said I am putting you all-in just hoping to get lucky. I replied "I raised hoping to get lucky", but when he turned them over I could see I was in good shape.



The flop brought him an 8 but also me a Q so it looked real good with me over 80% favourite.



The turn was a blank and left me in great shape now, just got to dodge a J or an 8.



You know what happened next, I can't post it cause it is sick (and hendon mob calc won't let me put up the river). Yep BOOM 8 of hearts, groans and sighs all round "unlucky", "well played mate" etc. But instead of sitting there with above average in a field I really fancied playing against I was on my toes and going home.

Oh well today brings the NLHE main event, so lets hop I am back Sunday for the final. Probably popping to Blackpool for the monthly £100er on Saturday too....MAD FOR IT !!

By the way Barrow Rugby playing at home on Sunday just a point needed to secure the title , hope they have the trophy up ready. 15 years going to almost every home game and we are now going to win something.

No comments: